19 March 2017

NYC - Mahler Symphony No. 1



Today at Carnegie Hall
Mahler swept into my soul
with sounds that spoke
of new awakenings.
My heart took flight.
It jiggled around inside me
cartwheeling from side to side;
it raced to heights
of highest high;
danced on clouds
of purest white;
it ebbed and flowed
with swirls and swells,
then darkness fell
veiling my heart
with sorrow.
I hid in the shadows
hoping it would pass by
but melancholy descended
swallowing me whole
in its ballooning belly.
It hurtled me through
passages of deepest dark
and grinding hurt
and just when I thought
my heart would burst
the darkness lifted
and light returned
to bathe me
in its healing glow.


 My thoughts while listening to Mahler's Symphony Number One played by the New York Youth Symphony one Sunday afternoon in May in New York City with loved ones.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting poem Anna, this is how I sometimes feel on the rare occasions when I listen to classical music. Very aptly portrayed in words. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. I find classical music food for the soul. x

    ReplyDelete