06 March 2017

NYC - Canal Street Sunday


The drizzling rain
accentuates
the hustle and bustle
of Chinatown on a Sunday.
Whiffs of fish find my nose
as I make my way
along Canal Street
to my dim sum date.
The jumble of market stalls
all colour and chatter
and the sight
of table upon table
of seafood
about to make its way
onto luncheon plates
are the backdrop
to my journey.
I dodge umbrellas
mushrooming in the rain
and paddle in puddles
I cannot dodge
because I have not learnt
the art of jostling
in streetwise crowds.
Dripping into my destination
I trip over
the New York greetings
of soon-to-be friends
and slide into my seat
round a table for ten
where a raised altar
spins offerings
of jasmine tea.
Clasping a cup in my hands
I give thanks
for friends on Sunday
in Canal Street.

2 comments:

  1. Very descriptive Anna, makes you feel as if you are there in the street with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Leila. It was a magic day. Our first Sunday in New York.

    ReplyDelete